There was this bar way up on a hill in Morgantown, WV, (which has lots of hills, I assure you) when I was in college that served a drink in huge mugs--about a quart I'd say--of beer and tomato juice. My friends and I used to walk up there (none of us had a car, Thank God!, or we would have killed ourselves driving after 5 or 6 of what I think was called 'Red Eyes'.
(Someone I went to college with will read this and let me know it that was what the tomato juice/beer mixture was called.)
The tomato juice convinced you that it was a breakfast drink but the beer, even at 3.2% that was what WV beer was in those days, would wipe you out because you'd drink too many too fast.
Walking back down the hill was an adventure. I'm sure that the next morning we didn't know how we got back to our dorms and apartments the night before.
I wish I remembered the bar's name so I could tell you.
But Red Eyes would give you just that the next morning.
- ► 2017 (248)
- ► 2016 (291)
- Doing my sums--Anthony and Ron
- how things go....
- The Blizzard came...sort of....
- Waiting for The Blizzard
- my weather junkie....
- Oh, my Lord, it's getting better and better...
- Last two chapters of the Igloo Factory
- Posting the Igloo Factory
- The joy of cabbage stalk
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Eleven
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Eight, nine and ten
- The itch you can't scratch...
- On my way to Killingworth this morning...
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Seven
- A confession I regret already
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Six
- The three worst jokes I know (and wish I didn't)
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Five
- Igloo Factory--Chapter Four
- "Body Pain" and a name I can't remember
- The Igloo Factory--Chapter Three
- Igloo Factory--Chapter Two
- The Igloo Factory
- Red Eye?
- How I'm different from the Puli
- Je suis Charlie
- I look at pictures....
- So cold the moon
- OK, I've had it with the NYPD
- Another unpreached sermon
- Home again
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)