Saturday, February 13, 2016

Luke is home

I picked up Lukie's ashes today. They are in a little half-pint box. I'm used to human cremains--that weigh several pounds and are at least a quart of ashes.

Luke was such a big cat--it's humbling to see how little is left of him.

For now we have his ashes in a basket on the piano, where he spent a lot of time in his last weeks, until he couldn't jump up on the piano.

I know some of you think I'm a real wuzz given how emotional I've been about the death of 'just a cat'.

That's what non-animal people say about cats and dogs and birds--"they're just a (fill in the blank)."

That's where non-animal people don't get it.

Yes, Luke was a cat, but for nearly 16 years he was a member of our little tribe, our family.

He's back on the piano for now. When it gets warm we'll figure out what to do with his ashes.

I like him on the piano. I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.