Friday, May 11, 2018

Lonely...I get it finally

Here's who I am.

I am a beloved creature of God.

I am a human Being.

I am a man.

I am a husband, father, grandfather, friend and priest.

I am an only child.

I read five books a week and delight in the stories they tell.

I grew up alone and not only liked it, I thrived in it. I'm never bored. I don't even know what people--even people I love--mean when they speak of their boredom.I'm my own best company. I like to be alone. And I'm never bored.

Another thing I've not understood is 'being lonely'.

I've been a priest and comfort to hundreds and hundreds of people. Mostly I'm pretty good at it. Sometimes I'm brilliant at it. I have often made a difference for people who have talked with me.

Except when their problem was 'being lonely'. I feel I've failed them though I've listened and listened. I just haven't known what they were talking about.

I've considered it over the years. If my family and friends were all gone and I had no folks to serve in a church as a priest and a friend, would I be lonely?

I've never thought so. I'm an only child and never bored. If I were alone, I've always thought, I'd read and write more and not be lonely.

Then that blessed/damned Puli died.

Every time I come inside, I expect Bela to be there to greet me. I expect to turn around as I'm writing this and see him asleep behind me. I expect to feed and walk him each day. I expect to pick some of his hair off whatever I put on. I expect to hug him in the night.

And I am lonely for the first time ever.

That dog gave me many gifts--patience, great and enormous love, comfort and affirmation.

And now the 'gift' of lonliness.

And it is a 'gift'. Being given something you never had is a remarkable gift.

One more reason to miss him. And feel lonely without him.




Now I know what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.