Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Another strange day

And not just because of the Republican Convention (I'll have much more about this week, beloved) but because I had another back ache night.

You might remember I wrote before about a backache a week ago now, that sent me to the emergency room and weirdly disappeared so they let me leave w/o seeing a doctor at 4:30 a.m.

Well, last night I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with the same pain--mid-back, excruciating. Nothing helped but sitting in an adirondack chair on our deck with my feet up. And even that only made it possible to wait until urgent care opened at 8 a.m.

(An aside about 'weirdly': that violates the old trope we all learned in grade school--'i before e except when following c or as sounded as a as in neighbor or weigh'. It took an English major 73 years to notice that!)

Anyway, Bern took me to urgent care and, true to fashion, the pain went away as I talked with the nurse. This time I wisely waited until an x-ray. The doctor said she couldn't see anything, but since they used a portable x-ray machine, which wasn't as clear as real ones, she told me to call my oncologist and tell her all about (almost all doctors I go to are women--even my urologist!) what urgent care found and have more tests.

Dr. Alsamari (I knew spell check wouldn't like that!) is on vacation until Monday but her assistants are getting the info from urgent care and will either call me or Dr. Alsamari and give me an appointment.

I can only pray (and ask you to) that I don't have another episode between now and then. Other than apendictis years ago, I've never had such bad pain any other time in my life.

After my appendix was removed, Bishop Smith visited me in the hospital. I woke up and saw him and holding out the little switch for my morphine drip and said, "hey, Bishop, want to try this?"

He never let me forget that.

More on the RNC later today. 

https://youtu.be/j-xNDlTxExs  link to my video blog. All opinions in this blog are mine and mine alone.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.