Thursday, March 7, 2024

The cashier at Big Y

 I was going through the line and a cashier said to me, "you look like a sea captain!"

I told her I was an Episcopal priest.

She thanked me for my work.

I had her again today and told her my story, since no one was in line behind me.

How I was and English major and wanted a Ph.D. and to teach in a small liberal arts college somewhere north of Virginia.

How two of my professors nominated me for a Rockefeller Fellowship for a trial year in seminary. I got it and when they asked 'where?" I said, "Harvard".

I stayed another year to get a degree--rather useless "Master of Theological Studies."

Went back to Morgantown, so Bern could finish college, and started an Episcopal House Church in our attic.

Then Maria Cartledge told me to go back to seminary...and I did.

The cashier is an Episcopalian and said, "God guided you...."

I guess she's right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.