Friday, October 17, 2014

Hard to tell it's done in the dark

I love to grill. I do all the meat stuff (hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, pork roasts, chicken, lots of kind of fish) but I do vegetables as well (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, asparagus, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc.)

But when fall comes, things get iffy.

Our grill in on the deck (charcoal, thank you, a Weber) and I never use lighter fluid, a chimney with newspaper is my way. But, although there is a light on our back porch, it doesn't quite illuminate the deck and since we eat at 7, telling if something is done in near darkness is hard.

Tonight I did some marinated tuna (lemon and oil and pepper mostly, with some other spices) and it was so dark I couldn't tell if it was done, fully cooked.

Finally I just took it off to take it in the kitchen and check and discovered it was just right. I've taken to buying fish and everything else in two thicknesses since Bern likes everything more done than I do. My thick filet was pink in the middle and her thinner piece was cooked through white all the way.

It was very good, thank the sea and my grill and good luck.

But, unless I grill in the daylight, grilling is probably over for the year. It is plum dark at 7 in mid-October. And we're about to go back on Eastern Standard time so soon it will be too dark to grill before 6.

Too bad. I love to grill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.