Sunday, October 26, 2014

What keeps me humble...

I've not written a post for almost a week because I am such an incompetent computer user.

When I tried to go to The Castor Oil Tree on the 21st, I got a message from Google (where the blog is) that there was something wrong with my 'cookies and cache', neither of which I understood what they were. But there was a place to click to straighten it out, so click I did.

After 4 hours over 3 days of ineptitude, I gave up and called my friend John, who knows all sorts of stuff about my computer. He's the one who put it together and comes whenever I call "Help!" about something.

He came today and here I am. I didn't make it easy on him since I'd forgotten passwords and stuff. And then I remembered I didn't start the blog, a friend of mine at St. John's did years ago, so I'd been giving him the wrong user name and the forgotten passwords for the wrong user name!

It took him about an hour because of my stupidity and forgetfulness....

Remember the saying that goes: 'give someone a fish and they'll eat for a day; teach them to fish and they'll eat every day'? Well, I'm incapable of being taught to 'fish' with computers! So John  has to 'give me a fish' every so often!

It's probably good that I am so horribly bad with computers...it's the thing that keeps me humble. Every time I start thinking I pretty much have everything handled, I just remind myself what a dope I am with technology and restore myself to a realistic view of  my own abilities.

(A employer ask a potential employee, "What is your greatest weakness?"

The applicant replied, "my honesty."

The surprised boss said, "I don't think of honesty as a weakness."

"I don't give a damn what you think," said the not-to-be employed guy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.