Sunday, October 6, 2019

Haven't written for a few days

The whole impeachment news is so compelling, I haven't caught up with my blog.

Amazing, what's going on,

Today's gospel from Luke (the usually compassionate gospel) tells 'believers' that they are like 'slaves'--what a horrible comparison, and shouldn't expect acknowledgement for what they do since what they do is what they're called to do--be loving, generous and open to the needs of others.

And that's the truth.

The idea that 'everyone gets a trophy' has created a generation of folks who think they are 'entitled', whether they have succeeded or not.

I had one person tell me how she used to run a Science Fair and give three ribbons until parents told her everyone should get a ribbon.

Another person told me how, in her office, folks show up 'expecting' to be promoted and treated with respect even if they didn't know how to do their jobs.

I am 'magna cum laude' and Phi Beta Kappa.

I earned that, just as I earned my four degrees.

And I didn't feel like I deserved any praise. It was just 'what I did'.

We all need to 'do' what we are called to do.

And expect no praise.

It is simply our calling.

Be loving, generous and open to the needs of others.

A prayer I often say before a Eucharist is this: "God, open our hearts to your love, our minds to the Truth and our lives to those in need."

Our calling.

No acknowledgement or praise needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.