Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Butterflies

I've been watching butterflies all summer, asking myself, 'why do they fly in such jerky, irregular patterns?'

Today, I thought of a reason.

It may be stupid and crazy, but I'll stand by it until someone proves me wrong.

If the butterflies few straight, birds would be able to catch them.

So, in evolution, only the jerky flying butterflies avoided capture, most of them.

And most who flew straight died for being straight (no political statement intended).

So irregular pattern butterflies, reproduced and made more of their kind.

And butterflies fly in jerky patterns because it worked for their ancient ancestors.

Works for me.

And for butterflies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.