Wednesday, April 13, 2022

my parents

 As I approach my 75th birthday, I find myself thinking a lot about Virgil and Cleo Bradley, my long dead parents.

I think they would be shocked to know I have two Master's degrees and a Doctorate.

They would be delighted to know I have four grand-children, twice what they had.

I think they would be proud (at least my mother) that I have been an Episcopal priest for nearly 40 years.

(My Dad, who lived to see me ordained was dubious about the whole 'priest' thing.)

Mom never lived to see her grandchildren. And Dad was so destroyed by her death that he never gave Josh and Mimi much attention.

Some days, I miss them so.

Dad was 42 and Mom almost 40 when I was born.

I didn't get to know them long enough.

Mom died at 63 and Dad at 83. He mourned her for almost two decades.

He never came out of mourning.

I hope they are together again somewhere--though I don't have much insight into an after life.

Mom and Dad, your baby boy will be 75 on Easter. Your grandchildren and their spouses and your 4 great-grandchildren will be here.

I'll drink a glass of wine to your memory--though neither of you would approve of that!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.