Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Thinking of Mommy

I've been thinking of my mother today.

Marion Cleo Jones Bradley.

I'm half-Jones, not surprising for the southernmost county in West Virginia. Lots of Jones', Smiths', Browns', Terry's and other common names there. Spencer, LaFon, Davis, to name a few others.

Cleo had a master's degree in education and taught, mostly first grade.

She had earned her education by going part-time to Concord College, one county over. And Bluefield State College, over to the East too.

A friend told me recently that Concord College was now a university. I had trouble believing him, but he swore that it was true.

I don't have a lot of memories of my mother.

I do have a black and white photo I keep on the bookcase to the left of me as I type.

My father is in an easy chair and my mom is on the right arm and I am on the left one.

I must have been 10 or 11. A little goofy looking (which I probably still am!) my mom and I are smiling and my father wasn't. (Seldom did.)

Above us is a painting of a Collie dog calling out in the snow over an injured lamb.

Behind where I keep the photo is the same painting--a bit larger.

I must have bought it from a memory of our apartment when I was growing up.

My mom was a sweet and gentle woman.

She died when I was in college. She was only 63.

I have fond memories of her, but very few....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.