Sunday, February 19, 2023

I'm a gravy guy

I love gravy of all kinds.

Part of it was where I grew up--in Southern West Virginia, south of Richmond Virginia. Gravy abounds in the south.

The other part is the families I come from.

My maternal grandmother, Nomi Jones, fixed gravy for almost every meal.

My paternal step-grandmother, Cleve Bradley would fix amazing sausage gravy when we visited her when I was a child.

My father's mother died young and his father remarried Cleve, who talked constantly when we would visit her in Waitville, WV.

We'd leave at dawn and get to Dad's childhood home for breakfast.

There would be home baked biscuits, eggs, sausage, bacon and that amazing gravy.

Biscuits and gravy is all I would eat, having slept most of the way there.

I buy gravy in jars. I can't fix it. But we have it many times when I cook dinner.

Tonight it is chicken gravy and mashed potatoes. 

I love that.

We'll have chicken cordon blue and asparagus with it--two things I never ate as a child.

But gravy.

Gravy.

I'm a gravy guy.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.