Monday, September 23, 2013

Late at night

Late at night--though not that late--and I long for bed.

I am often awake late at night.
Sleep is something I love,
long for, adore.

I seldom, if ever have nightmares,
but I sleep near to the surface of wakefulness.

My dreams are most often mundane,
me working at some task,
succeeding but not knowing how.

In 13 days I fly to Ireland
to lead a workshop,
or, more accurately, to coach
three women to lead it themselves.

I have been to Ireland many times
to be a part of the workshop.
This time, I might leave people there
who can lead it without my help.

Like a task I work at in a dream,
and succeed without knowing how.

Ireland is so green it is almost painful.
Like a dream about 'green'
which is a job I have to do
and accomplish without knowing how.

Or why.

Not long now and I'll be abed,
waiting for dreams
that come or not.

Either way,
I'll be grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.