Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The end of summer....

The Cleveland Indians won tonight, eliminating the Yankees from the post season. Now I was a Yankee fan during the horrible 70's and 80's. I am no stranger to not being in the post season.

But with Mo retiring and Andy retiring and so much injury this year the Yankees were like an ER, Jeter, Granderson, Texiera and ARod hurt most of the year--and worse than that for ARod.

They have to lose from time to time. Baseball is that weird game  where if you only succeed 3 times out of 10 you're a star. A sport without a clock. A diamond in a sea of green. Lots of angles. The game of summer.

And for me, with the Yankees out, summer is over.

(Did I ever tell you why I--a boy from southern West Virginia--am a Yankee fan? Probably, but it's a story worth another telling....)

My father was in NYC, waiting to ship out to Europe and WWII. The city couldn't do enough for the soldiers who were going to go and risk their lives for the USA. So my father and some of his friends got tickets to a Yankees/Dodgers World Series game. My Dad decided that whichever team won that game would be 'his team'...and by inheritance, his son's 'team'.

And the Yankees won.

That, back in the 40's of the last century is why Summer Ended for me today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.