Friday, September 26, 2014

buying a suit

I need a new suit for Mimi's wedding.

The problem is this: it's been so long since I bought a suit that I'm rather lost at sea trying to do it.

I've gone to Macy's in two malls and a Men's Warehouse in one, but there is no one there to help you and I have to take off my glasses to see sizes and when I see sizes I don't have a real good sense of what the suit looks like.

And, the last time I bought a suit in a real store, the pants and the coat came together. Now it seems, pants and suit jackets come separately.

I've been trying to remember when I last bought clothes in a real store and I can't remember. All the clothes I own now were either purchased in a consignment shop or Marshall's. For a decade or so, a lawyer in Cheshire, who was just my size, used to take his suits to the consignment shop and I bought them. But then that stopped. I hope he moved away rather than died.

So, screwing up my courage, I asked Bern if she'd go with me tomorrow or Monday and help me buy a suit.

She was waiting for me to ask and so with her in tow, I think I might be able to do it.

Suits--indeed, all the clothes--these days seem to be very expensive...which is why I go to Marshall's and the consignment shop. I am much cheaper than you might imagine. I don't like to spend money on clothes--which is probably obvious to anyone who sees me with my clothes on.

But, for Mimi and Tim, I need a new suit.

And I'm committed to doing it, willing to suffer both pain and indignity to do so. I love them that much.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.