Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas traditions

Aunt Elsie's card arrived today. She is my last living aunt or uncle or either side. I'm 67 so that's not surprising. Elsie was my mother's much younger sister. Mom would be 105, if she were alive. I think Aunt Elsie will turn 90 next year. My cousin, Mejol, and I went to see her this fall. A great visit.

Elsie Jones Ours always sends us a check for $10 for a pie and ice cream for our Christmas dinner. I would never tell her that $10 isn't nearly enough for the kind of pie and ice cream we eat. I just accept it as a gift and love her for it.

There were 15 first cousins on my mother's side of the family. I imagine Aunt Elsie sends us all $10 checks for Christmas. (Two are dead, but I'm sure that doesn't stop her....)

She sent, as always, a message. It went like this:

Dear Family,

Once again it is time to commemorate the birth of the Christ Child. The years seem to be losing days--so little time between the holidays.

Time again for the pie and ice cream. I hope you enjoy eating it with family or friends. Think of me and say a little prayer for me.

Love, Aunt Elsie

She also sent along a picture of my grandmother, her mother--Lina Manona Sadler Jones. It looks like a school picture for the elderly. I can't imagine where it came from. And Mamaw Jones looks like something from American Gothic. She isn't smiling--which all my memories of her include--her smile.

Mamaw lived well into her 90's and kept escaping from the nursing home--God bless her.

But it just isn't right, her not smiling in the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.