Friday, August 7, 2015

Music from a time before

Bern and I were sitting in the Adirondack chairs she helped build, reading, when the music began.

We live about a mile from the High School and the park across the street from Cheshire High, but we can hear a lot of what goes on down there. We know when Cheshire scores a touchdown, for example and can hear the announcer announce it. And we can hear the music from the park during the summer from the concerts there.

Today the band playing (quite good, I think) were singing songs from another time--a time before. They did some Mama's and Papa's and some Crosby, Stills and Nash and Beach Boys a little Stevie Wonder...music that carries Bern and me back in time to a life before being on Medicare and wondering how long we'll live.

"Teach your children well" was the last song I listened to before I came in to write this. And we can't hear them from inside the house because it was built in 1850 to keep the outside, well, outside. Plus I listen to WSHU classical music on my computer at night as I type.

Amazing how some songs can transport you back decades to another time--a time before--a life before that you lived and have almost forgotten until music makes it present.

Anything by the Beatles or Bob Dylan rips me out of 2015 and takes me back to when I was young, smoking a little dope and without pains in my joints.

Music not only soothes the savage beast, it removes the years for a while and makes you younger than you can now imagine being.

We were children without children again for a while on our back deck, the light failing, reading books we would have never read back then, as Bern grilled dinner.

Not a bad way to spend a late afternoon, early evening--being young again.

I wish I knew who the band was. I write them a thank-you note.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.