Wednesday, March 29, 2017

visit to a sweet soul

I visited someone today who is ready, willing, wanting to die.

They just can't figure out why they can't will their own death.

A deeply spiritual soul. A body that has been ravaged. A longing to enter that mysterious door to whatever comes next.

I am convinced they aren't kidding about wanting to die and trying to will Death to come.

And with a clear mind, the person longs for leaving. But the train is still at the station.

Since I'll soon be 70 (have I told you that? I'm sure I have--it's on my mind quite a bit) I have some ponderings about death.

I used to think I wanted it to be sudden and unexpected before I lost any mental capacity or even physical ability.

But now, after my visit today, I want to be like that someone is--fully awake but ready to move on.

Something so moving and powerful about facing Death with willingness.

Much, much there to ponder.

I invite you to do just that: ponder how you want to enter that dark door.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.