Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Thinking about my July 4 sermon

I'm preaching at Trinity, Milton on July 4.

It is also my first official day as Priest-in-charge there.

A big day all around.

And I've been thinking about my sermon.

I'm not going to use the pulpit--I'll use the mike the soloist uses and stand on the floor. I want to be on their level because some of what I say might make some of them uncomfortable.

It's going to make me uncomfortable!!!

I want to say that patriotism is not 'love it or leave it'--it's 'love it AND fix it'.

We live in the best country in the world (though some of the Scandinavian countries attract me) but we have a myriad of problems--racial, economic, educational, socially--and we are deeply divided.

I'll be spending the next few days trying to put all that into a gospel frame.

Wish me luck.

Pray for me.

Pray for our nation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.