Monday, October 23, 2023

MONTAINI SEMPER LIBERI

I was looking through the desk drawer I hardly even use--except for a nail cutter--and found two things I had forgotten about.

An unopened iron-on patch of the state seal of West Virginia which depicts a coal miner on one side and a Davy Crockett looking fellow on the other of a rock with the date July 20, 1863 on it. That was the date that West Virginia was created out of a weirdly strange area of Virginia with two panhandles, for the Civil War. It also had the Latin phrase above, which means, "Mountaineers are always free".

The other was a half-dollar sized nickle from McDowell County National Bank dated July 20, 1963--for the 100th anniversary of the state.

I've had these things a long time--long enough to forget them.

But it was a joy to find them.

I was 16 when the Centennial happened.

I hadn't yet met Bern.

Memories are good.

I my even iron the patch on a jacket....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.