Saturday, February 13, 2021

I need to listen

I need to shut up and listen.

I'm not rich, by any means: however, the average family income in the US is 68,700 dollars--and that's for all households, including those with children.

My wife and I have an income of well over $100,000 from Social Security, my amazing Church Pension Fund pension and the church work I do. Plus, we own our house in Cheshire's historic district outright.

Plus, we're both white. Bern for one generation on the Italian side and two generations on the Hungarian side and me for 6 generations on either side.

And there are people of color and white people as well who are locked in poverty.

Bern and I are both college graduates and I have three (count 'em) three post graduate degrees.

But many people in our country are under-educated and limited in what jobs they could do for a living wage even without the pandemic.

So, I need to shut up and listen to the voices of the poor, the people of color, the under-educated, the folks with disabilities--I need to know what they need and want and have to have.

And I have to vote for people who will give them what they need and do all I can to help them.

I am 'part of the problem' and need to be 'part of the solution'.

They need to speak and I need to listen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.