Sunday, July 12, 2015

I've lived in this house

I've lived in this house for 28 years. Long enough, one would think, to know everything about it.

There are two light switches by the door to the back porch. One turns on and off the overhead kitchen light and one turns on and off the light on the porch.

Just now, coming off the porch, I tried to turn the porch light off (it's dark in CT and 9:37 p.m.--my blog is on Pacific time and I can't find out how to change it...so it says it's 6:37 p.m. plus how long it takes me to write this.) And, trying to turn the porch light off, I turned off the kitchen light instead.

28 years and I hit the wrong switch, whatever I'm trying to do, about 65% of the time. Go figure.

It may just be light switches that confound me. I was Rector of St. John's in Waterbury for 21 years and never quite mastered turning on the lights in the chapel for the Wednesday Eucharist or daily noon day prayers.

Once Mary, who was blind, was sitting in the chapel and I was fooling endlessly with the complicated light panel for the church. I called out to her, "Mary, is that enough light in the chapel?"

"I couldn't tell you, Father," she replied without a moments pause, "but thanks for asking."

I used to tell people who wanted lights turned on in the church that I purposely never learned 'so people wouldn't ask me to turn the lights on'....

Truth is, I couldn't, for some reason figure it out and that was a couple of dozen switches.

You'd think I'd be able to be 50/50 on two switches, but no...it's more like 65% of the time wrong switch, no matter what.

Go figure. One more thing I seem terminally inept at, out of many.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.