Saturday, August 17, 2019

Coming up on 49

While we're on Oak Island in September with Mimi, Tim, Eleanor, Jack, Sherry and John, Bern and I will celebrate our 49th anniversary.

One short of 50.

But we've known each other longer than that.

We met in introductory Latin class in high school (Amo, Amas, Amat). I was a Senior and she was a Freshman. I was 18 and she was 15. I was taking Latin because I had applied to Shimmer College (now part of the University of Chicago) and they required a year of foreign language. The only language taught at Gary High School was Latin.

I didn't go to Shimmer and I didn't learn much Latin. I need to remind you I grew up in a very rural part of southern West Virginia. There were 99 people in my graduating class. I rode a bus 13 miles, twice a day, to get to high school. These were the coal fields. Both our fathers were coal miners--Bern's until he retired, mine until after WWII when his lungs wouldn't let him go back inside the mountains.

We dated that year and whenever I was home for three years of college. Then in 1964, she joined me at West Virginia University and we were again senior and freshman. I went to Cambridge to Harvard Divinity School the next year and then in September of 1970 we were married and went back to Cambridge together.

I was 23 and she was 20.

And here we are, together and settled and joyful, 54 years after we met. We have spent all those years--not always easily--together.

Together.

I can't imagine a life I could have lived without Bern. I really can't.

I've spent 3/4 of my life with her.

She is my life.

She really is.

What a joy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.