Saturday, August 3, 2019

How long, O Lord?

Fifteen, at least, dead in a shooting in an El Paso Mall. Another mass shooting. How long, O Lord, until we do something meaningful about guns in America?

Just a few days ago, three dead in the Garlic Capital of the world in California. Ages 6, 13 and 22. Given an average life-span of 80 years that was 199 years of life for people who may have made the world a better place that was taken away in a matter of moments.

I've had people who I know ask me, "would you take away my guns?" And I always smile in a friendly way and say, "you betja!"

Anything that isn't obviously for hunting. Those you can keep if you can show you regularly hunt. But even guns 'for self defense' I would take because I'd be taking 'all guns' away and making life in prison the penalty for having one that wasn't for hunting--so why would you need one for self defense?

I'd do it to protect innocent people and the police. I'd do it to make this a non-hunting gun gun-free nation. Criminals with guns would automatically spend their life in prison and though I'm deeply opposed to the death penalty, I might consider it for having an illegal gun when committing a crime.

I would put gun manufactures and the NRA out of business.

I might even lock those people up for a good long time.

Don't give me that shit about 'guns don't kill people'--GUNS DO KILL PEOPLE!

If the horrible people involved in all the mass shootings hadn't had guns they would have to beat people to death or stab them to death or hit them with rocks. None of which is terribly efficient.

GUNS KILL PEOPLE!!!

For me, they have to go away.

I mean it.

How long, O Lord, before we, as a nation, come to our senses about guns? How many have to die?

Just tell me that--how many have to die?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.