Friday, August 9, 2019

It got very dark

The electricity went off on upper Cornwall Avenue last night.

It happened about 8:30 p.m., before it got completely dark. But 45 minutes later, it got very dark.

I called Bern, who was at her Group, to let her know the porch light wouldn't be on when she got back.

Then I got Brigit and a candle and a flashlight and cigarettes and wine and went to the front porch.

It's amazing how dark it can get without lights from houses and street lights. I finally just sat with the candle and the dog and waited on Bern. You miss people more in the dark than in the light.

When she got home, Brigit was delighted. We got a couple of more candles and our bedside lights worked because they store up electricity somehow I don't understand.

We went to bed by 10 p.m.

I realize why folks before electricity were 'early to bed and early to rise'. Not much to do in the dark--with no radio, no TV, no computers--except go to bed.

20 minutes later it came back. We both got up to do some stuff.

Amazing how light encourages action.

I didn't write on my blog last night because I couldn't.

Now I can so I told you why....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.