Friday, May 15, 2015

Conflicted

The sentence of Dzhokar Tsarnaev conflicts me greatly.

I am firmly against the death penalty. I don't the idea of my government killing people--in war or by lethal injection.

But this case was so violent and terrorist driven that I am conflicted.

Part of the conflict is the descriptions of how seemingly inscrutable, indifferent and disinterested he was during the trial. No regret, apparently, has entered his heart.

(The only crimes I would have no problem supporting the death penalty--and might be willing to impose it myself--are against the helpless: animals and children.

So, given that, the bombing at the Marathon was against people who were helpless to know they were in danger....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.