Saturday, May 23, 2015

shooting hoops as the light fails

I just took Bela for a walk at 8:30 p.m. The light is failing.

And two kids--one from our neighbor on the right and one from our neighbor on the left--were shooting baskets as the light failed.

I remember doing that over and over and over, when I was a kid.

My Dad had put a pipe in the ground that held a basket and back board, in the yard beside our apartment, 6 feet down from street level.

I shot baskets endlessly as the light failed all through three seasons of the year.

If I didn't have Bela with me I would have gone over and asked to take a shot.

I can shoot basketballs through a hoop with the best of them--even now, at my age.

I would have impressed those kids with a couple or three 17 footers.

They yanked me back to when I was their age--10, 11, 12, 13, 14, on and on--shooting hoops as the light fails.

I thank them for those memories. Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.