Saturday, November 14, 2015

Conventions

What a difference a few years makes.

A few years ago when I went to the Conventions of the Diocese of Connecticut, I sat near a microphone so I could comment on resolutions. I probably annoyed people the way people who have to comment on resolutions annoy me today.

And I got myself elected to three General Conventions of the Episcopal Church in Columbus, Minneapolis and Anaheim and got to mikes as much as I could.

Today was the Convention of 'the Episcopal Church in Connecticut'--we've been 're-branded', in a good way, to be the Episcopal Church in CT rather than 'the Diocese of CT'--like a 'Diocese' was a 'thing'.

Convention was yesterday and today. I didn't go yesterday because my class on Gnostic Christian literature at UConn in Waterbury meant I'd miss most of it. Today was tolerable. Our two bishops moderated the convention with style and grace. The 12 resolutions caused much more debate and microphone time than needed and the closing Eucharist was much truncated. But all was well.

What strikes me is that when I 'retired', I truly 'retired'. The governance of the church I love no longer matters to me in any meaningful way.

I attend but don't speak and am pleased when it is over. I grabbed communion on my way to my car and went home as fast as possible.

I leave it to others now--these conventions. I'm done with caring in any significant way, I know conventions are necessary and vital, but I simply don't care anymore.

Bless those who do 'care' what happens. I used to be one of them. But now, I'm not.

I've moved on. The church I love still 'matters' to me, but only locally.

I'm finished with all that.

Now only the people I serve matter to me. Let the details and debates belong to others.

It's really liberating, really, to be free of worrying about an institution and turning my attention to people I love and serve.

What a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.