Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fried cabbage

Fried cabbage was a staple in my youth. Everyone on both sides of my family fried cabbage and loved it.

I remember this because Bern is downstairs frying cabbage and apples to go with the chili she's made for dinner. (If I lived to be an old, old man, I don't think I would have ever paired fried cabbage with chili, but it's Bern's night to cook and I'm sure it will be fine. I love fried cabbage.)

Bern, who grew up 12 miles from me--she in a Hungarian/Italian family and me in a 'Sager' household. (It was from Bern that I learned ethnic families referred to white bread, British Isles people like me as "Sagers" because of our propensity to use sage in lots of things.) But both households fried cabbage a lot.

It got me to thinking, do folks in New England fry cabbage?

I've lived here since 1980 and have never heard anyone mention eating fried cabbage. Maybe it's just that folks don't think it is something for polite conversation. There is an odor to it that smells much like my dog's farts. But it does taste so good.

How about you? You a fried cabbage guy or gal?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.