Monday, November 9, 2015

middle-age just got longer

I read a story on line about how whoever decides such things has declared that middle-aged in America now lasts through 68!

Imagine my surprise--I'm still middle-aged!

And here I thought I'd entered the golden years.

Well, first of all, when I'm sitting here in my comfortable desk chair typing, I don't feel much different than I did at 45 or 40 or even 35. But when Bern calls me for dinner in just a bit (it's her night to cook) I'll get up and feel considerably older than 35 when I walk down the back stairs to get my plate and both knees ache a bit.

And, second of all, when I try to remember who it was in the article that decreed I'm still middle-aged, I come up with a blank--at 40, I could have told you in a heart-beat.

So, still being middle-aged is a bit of a high (since it's been decades since I smoked anything that made me high, it feels good). Until I get up and feel my knees and can't remember a phone number I dial several times a week.

I'll honor whoever decides such thing and be middle-aged for another year. But come April 17, 2016, I'm going to complain about my joints and admit I can't remember like I used to.

Come on 'golden years', I'll be ready for you in April.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.