Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Red Maple babies

Bern often tells me that I don't have any connection with the outside world. Truth is, I live in my head a lot.

She can move furniture and it takes me a day or two to notice. And stuff she moves around in the back yard--give me a break!--I seldom notice.

This evening, before dinner, I was out on the back porch. Spring in New England is warm in the sun and cool in the shade. I had on jeans and a sweater and the sun was just perfect across our back yard and I saw, as if for the first time, our Red Maple tree's babies. There are at least four of them in our eastern neighbor's yard.

One is 10 feet high--a few years--and the others are smaller, but not new, by any means.

Our Red Maple is 25 feet or so, just in back of our house and has a trunk shaped like a human body in many ways--arms up, torso just so. Morgan, our granddaughter, likes to climb it as far as you can. We've hung a mask on it like a head. It works.

But, for whyever, like me not noticing stuff, I hadn't seen the babies until the sun at 6:30 pm today.

And there they were. Lovely, with the same wondrous red leaves and reaching branches.

What all do I miss, living in my head, in the world out there.

Red Maple babies for sure.

What else...?

What else indeed....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.