Monday, October 5, 2015

I love crickets

Cheshire is full of the songs of crickets tonight. And I love cricket song.

One thing the crickets do is make my tinnitus, which I've had for a decade or so, go away. "Ringing in the ears" doesn't do my particular version justice. Neither does "buzzing in the ears", the other definition for 'tinnitus' the on-line dictionary gives.

In fact, my tinnitus sounds exactly like cricket song. So, all in all, I'm lucky to have a sound in my head that sounds like a sound I love.

When I was diagnosed, there was a med-student working with my primary care physician. He was the one who told me what it was, gave it a name. Then he said, "it drives some people crazy. I've heard of cases when people killed themselves to get rid of it."

When Dr. Olsen came in, I told him, "you need to give some bed side manners training for this guy."

I'm not suggestible at all much, but planting the idea of suicide in someone who is a little off kilter wouldn't be a good idea.

There is also some key on an organ that turns off my internal crickets. I used to go listen to Bob Havery practice when I was at St. John's, Waterbury and every time my crickets would be gone for a few hours. And today, in the middle of a hymn, the crickets shut up.

I should find out what key it is. That would be helpful...but only if I were around a pipe organ....

Not bad to have cricket song as a constant companion. Not bad at all....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.