Saturday, November 5, 2016

asparagus

Most folks in southern West Virginia of my age did not grow up eating asparagus. People like Bern did since her family was Italian and Hungarian.

It's probable that I tasted asparagus for the first time at Bern's house.

I love it now. Grilled is how I like it best. Or roasted. Boiling is low on my list of how to cook asparagus--too limp. Searing it in a frying pan works. But even canned asparagus is remarkable when Bern breads and fries it....

Cold grilled or roasted asparagus is great in salads too.

But what I've never been able to figure out is how quickly it changes the smell of your urine.

Almost instantly, as far as I can tell.

Pretty amazing vegetable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.