Wednesday, November 23, 2016

On their way...

It's the day before Thanksgiving--my favorite holiday--and Mimi, Tim and Ellie are on their way.

It's 12:43 pm and they left Brooklyn around 11 am. But, since it is the day before Thanksgiving and the only two ways from Brooklyn to Cheshire are I-95 and the Merritt Parkway, we don't expect them for a while. Roads are packed with Thanksgiving traffic.

The dog is already waiting since we told him "Mimi" was coming. He loves Mimi more than treats! We told him about Tim and baby Ellie too, but it's Mimi he's waiting for....

Josh and Cathy and our other three granddaughters are in California, with Cathy's brothers. But they'll all be here for Christmas.

Our friend John is coming to dinner tomorrow. Bern's getting ahead with a sweet potato dish right now. I'll make the dressing later this afternoon. Apples, raisins, walnuts all go in it. It's a recipe I learned in the early 70's when I was in seminary and working at Christ Church, Capitol Hill. Christ Church was made up, mainly, of people who worked in the government and couldn't leave to go to all the places they were from for Thanksgiving. So about 100 people ate together at the church. It was wondrous.

I love Thanksgiving.

I think if the most common human emotion were gratitude, the world would be about as wonderful as Thanksgiving itself.

I sometimes say the Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ" on your inhale and "Have mercy on me" on your exhale). But I've altered it to "Lord Jesus Christ"/"Thank you so much."

Gratitude could transform the universe....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.