Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Too much darkness

I just read a story online about Barrow, Alaska, the northernmost town in the US. The sun went down in Barrow on November 18 and won't rise again until January 22.

Over two months of darkness. I don't think I could endure that. That's too much darkness.

I love Connecticut's seasons. I embrace the darkness these days--we're at about 15 hours of darkness and 9 hours of sunlight right now. It will get a little more dark for 3 weeks, each day, then the Solstice and the light returns until that division is reversed in June.

But in Barrow we're talking 1536 hours of darkness.

Lord, that would make me move to the Equator somewhere!

I love the image of  'darkness' theologically and in literature. But 64 days?

Who lives in Barrow? If you do, contact me to let me know how it's going for you....

By the way, I'll only be visiting up there in the late Spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.