Wednesday, November 16, 2016

walking

Yesterday, for the first time since September 28, I walked and drove a car!

To say I felt 'liberated' would be to say too little, but to say felt 'humbled' might be spot on.

After a month and a half of being so dependent on Bern and some friends, I could finally go out--I went to a meeting!--by myself.

But the freedom reminded me of how much--how very, very much--Bern has done for me for the last 6 weeks. I told  her I'd never be able to repay her and she said, "I know it!" Another time I asked if there was any way I could make it up to her and she smiled in a way that made me nervous and said, "I'm working on it...."

I'm going to another meeting tonight. I'll drive myself to Physical Therapy tomorrow. I'll go to the store for us. I'll start cooking every other night, I'll help take out the dog....

But I did learn that being 'dependent' teaching us more than to enjoy 'independence', it taught me to truly recognize how much I need others in my life.

That, I would suggest, may be a better reaction to walking again than shouting 'YEA!"

(I'll see some of you out and about....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.