Saturday, February 5, 2022

I'll miss them both but I only like one...

 Two of the best quarterbacks in pro football have retired.

(Actually, one of them may be the best of all time and the other is way above average.)

Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger (that's how you spell it, no matter what my spell check says!) won't be back behind their centers next year.

I love Big Ben, always have. Playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers (again, bad, bad spell check!) made him a working class hero. I went to college about 60 miles from Pittsburgh and always admired the blue collar strength of the city. And Big Ben was fun.

Brady, as good as he was--and he was fabulous--never touched my heart. I never liked the Patriots before him, during him and won't after him.

But it was always great to have someone to root against--though he broke my heart over and over.

And he didn't come out of college as a potential star--I think he was drafted 99th, barely making the top 100.

My dislike of his looks, his lifestyle, his play has nothing to do with his talent--it was beyond belief.

I'll miss rooting for Blue Collar Ben and rooting against White Collar Tom.

I'll miss them both--but it's Ben I love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.