Monday, March 7, 2022

Reckon

When I was growing up, my people (Anglo-Saxon Protestant) used the word 'reckon' to mean "I suppose so."

Is it going to rain tomorrow? I reckon it will.

I just asked Bern if her people (Italian-Hungarian Catholic) ever said 'reckon' and she said she was a teen before she heard the word.

In the New Oxford Bible, which I use, God tells Abram, before he was renamed Abraham, that his descendants would be more numerous than the stars in the night sky.

Abram believed God and God "reckoned it as righteousness".

God took Abram's belief and 'believed it to be true or possible' that it was Righteous.

Interesting term.

Ponder what you 'reckon'.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.