Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Nothing political today

I'm not going to be political today.

I want to write about 'waiting'.

(Well, I am waiting for the election...cut that out, Jim!)

Every other Tuesday I go to Waterbury Hospital to get two shots of Zolair. I've probably mentioned it before since it has kept me asthma free for over 4 years.

When I go to the hospital, I park in the valet spots. The valets used to park my car before the pandemic, but I park it now, in one of their spots. There's always one of the valets there just to watch to upper parking lot. I still tip them though they don't park my car these days.

Then I go in and after an attendant takes my temperature, I go to 'registration' to get an wrist band and paperwork. Usually that takes--tops--10 minutes.

Today it took over an hour. When I finally got to Outpatient Therapies for my shots, the nurse told me the hold-up in registration is because most people, even those who maybe should be admitted to the hospital are being treated as 'outpatients'. "You have to be half-dead to get admitted these days because of Covid."

Jarring.

I actually got registered sooner than I would have been because I asked the woman at the desk to call Outpatient Therapies and tell them why I was so late. She did, but told me to wait and registered me there instead of having to wait for one of the 4 registrars.

In that hour, I saw a lot of anger.

People don't like to wait, especially in a hospital.

Complaints, accusations, demands abounded.

The staff handled it all with grace and calm.

I always have a book, no matter where I'm going. Today I'm reading Jame Patterson's Double Cross.

So, waiting for me is simply reading time.

I notice that cell phones calm waiting crowds as well--but in a hospital those are limited.

Often, waiting can make us anxious and angry.

But it can teach us somethings as well.

'Lord, teach me patience so I can wait on your will...."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.