Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Here's something I wrote 10 years ago

   Requim in Pache

Robin Roberts died this week.
He was a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies.
When I was but a child.
 
He won at least 20 games 7 times.
He completed over half the games he started.
(Unheard of in the pitch count crazy present.)
He's in the Hall of Fame.
And now he's dead.
 
I can still remember, 
four decades later,
his baseball card.
A beefy, smiling man with a great fastball.
 
When I went away to college,
for reasons I'll never know,
my mother threw away
the two shoe boxes full
of baseball cards.
"I didn't think you'd mind,"
she said.
 
Mourning Robin Roberts
and my baseball cards
seems vain, even to me.
 
Mourning childhood gone through....
Well, that makes perfect sense.
 
5/10/10
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.