Friday, August 10, 2018

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I'm officiating at the marriage of P. and B.

I've known P. since she was 12 years old. I baptized P and B's daughter 10 years ago. They've always been together but just decided 'it was time' to be married.

I love P's family deeply. They are from a minor island in the Caribbean that was devastated last year but is coming back. One of their friends told me that Robert DiNiro is making a land-grab on the island, trying to buy much of it up instead of trying to rehab it. Just lost all faith in him.

A huge family and full of love.

Tomorrow will be a homecoming for me--the service is as St. John's in Waterbury. And it will be a joy.

When I do post marriage counseling the first question I ask the couple is this: Tell me why you want to get married. There's only one wrong answer.

If they say, "we're in love" I tell them that's the one wrong answer.

I say that because I know what they mean is the 'feeling' they get when they look at each other. Feelings come and go. "Love" has to be more than a feeling.

English is not a very good language for discussing 'love'. I can say: "I love my grandchildren" and "I love peanut butter cup ice cream" and the language doesn't distinguish between the difference between Emma/Morgan/Tegan/Eleanor and ice cream.

Greek does it better. Three very different words all translated as 'love' in English.

EROS--you know what that means!

PHILIOS--love between friends as in Philadelphia.

AGAPE--love that gives itself away, would die for the other.

So, in my short homily tomorrow I'll make those distinctions and urge Agape for P and B and everyone there.

Agape is 'love' spelled LOVE......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.