Saturday, September 15, 2018

The ceremony

Cathy Chen was sworn in as a judge of the Maryland District Court--District One--Baltimore City--on Friday.

It was amazing. At least 15 judges in robes and the chief judge of the Maryland Court and the lawyer of the Governor (who used to be in Josh's law firm) and people from as far away as Taiwan in attendance.

It was great. The Episcopal Church is good at ceremonies but I've never seen anything like this.

The president of the Maryland Bar Association gave her a crystal gavel to remind her how precious the law is and how if you hammer too hard, justice breaks.

She is my daughter in law, mother of 3 of my 4 granddaughters. I love her greatly and admire her immensely.

At the two receptions I talked to more judges than I've ever imagined talking to. They all love Cathy and admire Josh, my son.

I had long conversations with 5 lawyers in Josh's firm--including one of the guys whose name is in the name of the firm. And I was wondrously reassured of what a great lawyer--and wondrous man--my son is.

Our daughter, Mimi, and 4th grand-daughter, Eleanor, were there with us.

Bern and I talked, on the ride back from Baltimore today, about how we should pinch ourselves and be lost in wonder about how our two children turned out.

We can't take the credit. Much of the time we had no idea what we were doing as they grew up and I'm sure made numerous mistakes in raising them.

But there they are.

A partner in a law firm married to a judge with three remarkable daughters.

Second in command at a magazine for a national group of architects, married to a high ranking member of Linked-In whose office is in the Empire State Building with the most lovely, sweet, smart and wondrous 2 year old daughter.

How did this happen?

How blessed are we?

It's almost enough to make me believe in God. (Which I should, since I'm an Episcopal priest. But some of the things in the world make that hard to do..)

But when I ponder my two children, Lordy, Lordy, I believe in God and mercy and love so, so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.