Sunday, December 6, 2020

I talked to my 'sister' today

She's not really my 'sister', she's my first cousin, Mejol. But she was the nearest I ever had to a 'sister', being an only child.

I usually call her once a week, down in Baltimore, just to hear her Appalachian accent and to share news.

But during the pandemic--I don't know about you--but the days just run together for me.

I wake up several times a week and have to take a long look at my memory of the day before to know what day it is!

I hadn't called her for several weeks--since every day is just like the last, and the one to come.

Bern even asked me about it--"When did you talk to Mejol?" And I realized it had been a long, confusing time.

So, I called her.

And it was magic.

We are both liberals--me further left than her--but we agree on most things political.

She's on our zoom church from time to time--being the only Episcopalian, besides me, in our large generation of cousins.

I love her so.

Her voice takes me home and soothes me.

I wish I could go see her in Baltimore, but in these strange times, I can't.

But just talking with her makes things brighter, less stressed, more joyful.

I thank her for that.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.