Saturday, January 30, 2016

5 and 1/2 stars

OK, I picked it out because of the Title: The Solace of Leaving Early, and the cover--two little girls in princess outfits against a background of leaves.

I often pick wine by the label, so don't blame me for picking a book by its cover.

Haven Kimmel is the author. She's only written one other book, a memoir called A girl named Zippy. So there is nothing to compare "The Solace..." with.

I've simply never read a book like it. And I've read a lot of books, believe me.

It was a novel I kept going back to read passages I wanted to read again. It's not long so I was 20 pages from the end after a day. I took three days to read and re-read those last 20 pages. I'll probably re-read them again before I take the book back to the library.

If you don't trust me, know this: Bern read it and it had the same effect of her. I heard her tell Josh and Cathy to read it and I know she told her women's group as well on Thursday.

And I'm telling you to read it.

For one thing, three of the characters know more about English Literature than I do (and I'm an English major!) and more about theology and philosophy than I do (and I have three degrees--count them--in theology!)

Besides that, I've never encountered characters like this in any novel of the hundreds and hundreds of novels I've read.

And I've never been so caught up in the narrative of any novel before.

So, there I've said it. The Solace of Leaving Early, by Haven Kimmel, is one of the best books I've ever read. Really.

Five and 1/2 stars, nearing 6 stars.

Read it. Believe me, you'll thank me.

Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.