Monday, November 11, 2019

Calling Mejol

I plan to call Mejol tonight.

She is, I think I've said before,the sister I never had.

My parents thought they wouldn't have children, so they semi-adopted Mejol--my mother's sister's daughter. She went with them on vacations. She slept over with them.

They loved her.

Then I came along.

And Mejol stayed.

We were always together, for most of my childhood and afterwards.

When I was in high school, she locked me in her room with an album by Bob Dylan and Catcher in the Rye. An afternoon that changed my life.

When I graduated from high school, I went to visit her in New Orleans. She was with me the first time I ever got drunk.

We've shared other things to intimate and private to write about.

l love her.

We lost touch for some years but I call her almost every week now.

She lives in Baltimore and if we'd been there more than the 40 some hours we were I would have seen her.

Men, it seems to me, tend to leave the past behind.

I do that--except for Mejol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.