Thursday, November 28, 2019
Thanksgiving and a poem
Mimi, Tim and Eleanor are here for Thanksgiving. John Anderson, a friend since college came up from New Haven for dinner. Great food and Great company. What a joy!
Also, I came across this poem I wrote over 16 years ago.
Walking out of Shadows
This poem has three things
a back porch, badly lit,
a deck in shadows,
and a Puli dog.
(The fourth thing comes at the end.)
My back porch is small.
4 by 6 or so,
and the light bulb,
surrounded by opaque plate,
is 40 watts at best.
The deck is largerer--12 by 20, mabe,
and gets little illumination from the porch light.
The Puli is black as black can be.
So black there are highlights
of more blue and brown in his coat
in direct sunlight.
But at night, when the dog walks on the deck,
I cannot see him for the shadows
and he emerges suddenly
from darkness into light.
Now the fourth thing--the crux of the matter--
how much is that like you and me, all of us,
in the most profound and deepest way,
wandering mostly in places we cannot be seen,
into some dim light?
Only some of our hearts and souls
are visible at all.
- ► 2020 (335)
- Advent 1 sermon (if the snow lets me preach it)
- Snow on the way
- The day after....
- Thanksgiving and a poem
- Advent I
- One of the many things I don't know
- Nobody, I mean 'nobody' read this....
- Another old sermon
- Christmas Eve
- OK, I've been neglecting my blog
- Don't give me s*** about gun control
- Something I wrote
- Went to West Park
- Are you paying attention?
- Shut up Hillary and go away Michael
- full moon
- Calling Mejol
- Cosmic moment
- Home again, home again, jiggidy jig
- Going to Baltimore
- More old stuff--more than a decade old but worth p...
- Democrats rejoice!
- Setting the record straight--avoiding prosecution
- November in Connecticut
- TRUTH and FACT
- We're no longer saving daylight...
- OK, the World Series
- ▼ November (28)
- ► 2018 (248)
- ► 2017 (248)
- ► 2016 (291)
- ► 2015 (341)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)