Monday, June 1, 2020

Pain on top of pain

On top of this virus that has so damaged our nation came the murder of George Floyd on video by a policeman in Minneapolis. This pain on top of pain.

And our 'president' (I won't capitalize it any more, or name him) called the governors who handled the virus when he didn't and called them 'weak' for not arresting and punishing more people who were protesting Floyd's murder.

Most protests have been peaceful. If you've seen them on TV and on line, you will see that the protestors are inter-racial, in some cases as many whites as blacks. And in many you see police taking a knee to communicate that they support the protests!

The thing that troubles me is that these massive demonstrations may, in fact, help the virus spread.

Pain on top of pain on top of pain.

Racism and inequality must come to an end, at long last. If there can be a blessing for our nation and our people to come out of this time of pandemic--that would be a huge one.

I grew up in a county that was 50/50 black and white. But I never went to school with a black student until my Senior year of high school when the black high school sent over 3 male athletes and 2 female A students to begin the consolidation that took place the year I went to college.

I knew very few black people growing up. McDowell County, WV was as segregated as the deep south. But a woman who was my uncle's cook and housekeeper and her husband who worked in my uncle's store, were dear to me. I worked in my uncle's grocery after school and during the summers with Gene and he was a gentle, funny and a tad outrageous. His wife--we lived next door to my uncle--treated me with kindness and good humor.

But they were the only two I knew well though half the people around me were black.

In college, I became friends with a student who had gone to the black high school in the town where I went to the white high school. He would introduce me to his friends as 'Jim, we went to different high schools together'.

I should have grown up surrounded by black friends. But I didn't.

That kind of separation should have ended decades ago.

It didn't and it hasn't yet.

It must end as this virus ends.

It is the only way forward for 'all of us' in the future.

No more George Floyd's should be our battle cry.

But for that to have a chance, this president must be defeated in November. Only that will enable, at long last, some moves toward racial unity.

I believe that with all my heart. And pray for it with all my soul.

Join me in that belief and that prayer.

Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.