Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Giving back

I plan tomorrow to write $300 checks to each of the three churches I serve. I got my pay check today and I'm not doing what they pay me for.

All I do in this pandemic time is a 40 minute or so zoom church and a dozen or so phone calls.

That's not what they pay me for.

I'll feel better about taking the other half of my pay if I give back.

We are people who the virus hasn't affected financially. The church pension fund and social security haven't stopped. We're fine.

In fact, I haven't filled up my gas tank for almost 3 weeks and it's half full. Doing what I'm paid to do by the Cluster I fill it up every week and spend time on the road and see people and buy lunch sometimes. So, I spend money. And I'm not putting my $20 or so in the offering in cash every week.

So, I owe them.

If you're doing ok financially in this time of crisis, figure out who you 'owe'--and pay up.

Pass it on. Pay it forward. Give it to charity or your church or your political party (IF YOU'RE A DEMOCRAT, OF COURSE!!!)

Those of us not affected need to pass it on to those who are.

This is the time to form a habit like that for the future.

That future would be better than what we have today.

Wash you hands. Wear a mask. Socially distance. Pass it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.