Saturday, March 21, 2015

Appalachian 'food group'

I've eaten a 12 ounce tub of Pimento Cheese in the last 4 days. Probably more than is healthy since the tub tells me it is 12 servings and each serving has 20% of a day's fat intake and 140 calories (120 from fat). So, I've had 3 servings a day for four days. Not good....

But I was so excited when I found Pimento Cheese in the cooler next to row upon row of hummus (a much healthier choice!) that I couldn't resist.

Pimento cheese, along with gravy, was a food group where I come from. When we go to the beach in September, Sherry Ellis (who's from South Carolina) always stocks up on Pimento cheese and she and I (out of the 6 people in the house) eat it all.

Pimento Cheese is basically mild cheddar cheese, shredded, and mayo with whole eggs and some sugar and pimentos as an afterthought.

I've justified my binging on it by having eaten most of it with either gluten free, no wheat crackers or Pecan nut-thin crackers. The last bit I added some Pecante sauce to make it a tad healthier.

Pimento Cheese in New England--what an unexpected respite from the chill....

(Someday I'll write about gravy....)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.