Sunday, June 21, 2015

The longest day and how right-handed can you be

The birds woke my up just after 5 a.m. this morning and it was already light. It's now 8:39 p.m. and dusk is beginning to gather. That's 15 and a half hours of light--the longest day of the year, God bless it.

I'd like to live somewhere where 15 hours of light was the norm, though there is no place like that. I wouldn't want to live further north--I have no longing for the midnight sun. But I like the longest day of the year a lot.

When I was young, I thought being left-handed was cool. I wanted to be left-handed. I tried to write left-handed (a disaster!) I tried to throw a ball left-handed (a deeper disaster!) I tried to eat left-handed and nearly starved.  I tried every way I could to use my left hand to do things (a total disaster!!!)

Now that I am old, I still think left-handed people are cool. As hard as life is for them (find a left-handed tool, for example) I admire and envy them.

And I'm the most right-handed person on the planet. I hurt my right wrist last week and I'm useless from opening a door or opening a jar to simply making my way through life without seeming to be helpless.

Longest day and most 'right-handed' don't seem to go together, but for me they do.

All those (well, not that many) graceful, adroit left-handed people still cause me to envy them. And I'm pained to know, here at 8:58 p.m. when darkness has fallen, that I'll have to wait a year for the Summer Solistice, the 'longest day' to come 'round again.

When my right wrist is better, I won't mind so much.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.